West Warwick, RI
The Town of West Warwick, unlike many other communities in the State of Rhode Island, does not have an official founding date going back to the 17th Century. Through the urging and votes of many people in Western Warwick, Governor Adam J. Potheir signed a bill for the division of the Town of Warwick on March 14, 1913. The new town was called West Warwick, the youngest community in the State of Rhode Island
West Warwick has an outstanding tradition and heritage despite its late founding. Rapid industrial development in the Pawtuxet Valley area, continuous educational growth, rapid expansion of commerce, and with the arrival of large groups of immigrants in the 19th Century, West Warwick progressed quickly as a well established town.
West Warwick had been known in its early days for its cotton industry, boasting the first stone cotton mill in the State. The cotton industry gradually decreased. After World War II, increasing trends became apparent in West Warwick; a variety of large businesses providing large outputs and synthetic fiber manufacturers taking a lead over the cotton industry. West Warwick has offered prime industrial sites along Interstate Route 95, and in recent years numerous firms have constructed new plants in this area.
European traditions have been preserved in West Warwick with the celebration of St. Patrick's Day, and the Portuguese Holy Ghost Festival. Its first St. Patrick's Day Parade was held in March 1960, snce then this event has grown to Statewide recognition and has attracted thousands of spectators, many dignitaries and generous media coverage. The Portuguese Holy Ghost Festival, held annually for the past 65 years, commemorates the kindness of the generous Portuguese Queen Isabella, who provided food for the poor of Portugal.
Town Hall: 1170 Main Street West Warwick, RI 02893
Phone: (401) 822-9200
West Warwick Schools